What is NephMadness?
NephMadness is a free online, CME-granting, evidenced-based, noncommercial learning initiative that leverages the tools of social media to teach about the latest and greatest breakthroughs in the field of nephrology!(From the2017 explainer post)
The idea is based on March Madness, the annual US college basketball tournament. Instead of basketball teams, we selected the hottest nephrology topics to compete in NephMadness. More on the history of the madness in this Editorial:NephMadness 2015: Nephrology as a Cornerstone of Medicine. Also, check out@KidneyCathy‘s short video explainer:
What do I need to do?
- Read this year’s region postshere.
- Submit an individual orteambrackethere.
- Discuss your picks with#NephTwitter!
Helpful illustration by Omar Taco@errantnephron:
What are the teams and regions?
There are 8 main nephrology topics (REGIONS) with 4 subtopics (TEAMS) in the tournament.
- Animal House:Kelly Hyndman@DrKeeksPhD|Tiffany Truong@CRRTiff
- Cardiorenal:Nisha Bansal@NishaKidneyDoc|Sadiya Khan@HeartDocSadiya|Caitlyn Vlasschaert@DrFlashHeart
- Hemodialysis:Daniel Weiner@DanTheKidneyMan|Bourne Auguste@bourneauguste
- Inequities:Dinushika Mohottige@DMohottige|Katie Rizzolo@katierizzolo
- Lupus:Keisha Gibson@Dr_KeishaGibson|Jason Kidd@jkidd03
- Neonatal Nephrology:David Askenazi@DDD_Askenazi|Michelle Starr@mcstarr1
- Nephropath:Shree Sharma@nephrosharma|Elena Cervantes@Elena_Cervants
- Parasites:Arvind Conjeevaram@arvindcanchi|Mythri Shankar@nephromythri
If you’re organizing a virtual party, here are instructions on how to fill out your bracket as a group withZoom polls:
A 21-memberBlue Ribbon Panelselects the winners of each round in NephMadness.For each matchup, they are asked to pick the team that, in their opinion, will cause the most practice change in nephrology over the next 5 years. Here are the members of this year’s BRP:
- Jeffrey S. Berns@Jeff_Berns_POTD
- Kirk Cambell@kirkcampbell
- Michael Choi@Mike_J_Choi
- Deidra Crews@DrDeidraCrews
- Sarah Faubel@doc_faubel
- Scott Gilbert@sgilbert_md
- David S. Goldfarb@weddellite
- Melanie Hoenig@melhoenig
- Richard Knight@knightra
- Holly Kramer@kramer_holly
- Eleanor Lederer@EleanorLederer
- Fiona Loud@FionaCLoud
- Roslyn Mannon@mannonmom
- Cynthia Miracle@CMiracleMD
- Vandana Niyyar@vandyniyyar
- Paul Palevsky@PaulPalevsky
- Roger Rodby@NephRodby
- Mark Rosenberg@kidneyandmeded
- Cathy Quinlan@KidneyCathy
- Mayuri Trivedi@MayuriTrivedi80
Read more about the rationale behind the BRP in this Editorial:NephMadness After 5 Years: A Recap and Game Plan for the Future
- March 1:Bracket entryopens
March 31(extended toApril 3):Deadline for bracket submission
- April 4:First round results | Saturated 16 named
- April 6:Saturated 16 results | Effluent 8 named
- April 7:Effluent 8 results | Filtered 4 named
- April 8:Filtered Four results | Finalists named
- April 11:NephMadness 2022 Champion crowned
CME and MOC
What are the Prizes?
Grand Prizes:Top Overall Score, Top Medical Student Score,Top Resident Score,Top Fellow Score, andTop Attending Score
Group Prizes:Highest Score, Most Entries, and Best Party
EachGroup Prize winnerwill receive up to 30 NephMadness socks (more than 30 individuals can be affiliated with a group, but we will only award 30 prizes per group)
- Highest Score:Complete the question on the bracket submission site on whether you are submitting an entry on behalf of a group, adding “OFFICIAL” to the group name
- Most Entries:Complete the question on the bracket submission site on whether you are part of a group and add the group name(everyone in the group should use thesame group nameto avoid confusion)
- Best Party:Take a photo (or multiple) of your party and tag#NephMadnessParty
Social Prizes:Best Tweeter and Best Blogger
EachSocial Prizewinner will receive one NephMadness drawstring bag
That’s it – we hope you’ll enjoy the fun and learning duringNephMadness 2022!
The 2022 NephMadnessExecutive Team:
- Joel Topf@kidney_boy
- Matt Sparks@Nephro_Sparks
- Tim Yau@Maximal_Change
- Anna Burgner@anna_burgner
- Samira Farouk@ssfarouk
- Pascale Khairallah@Khairallah_P
- Anna Vinnikova@kidneywars